What is the Comenius project?
Our project is called a multi-lateral Comenius partnership. Comenius is a European, educational organisation which aims to promote lifelong learning amongst European, primary school teachers and students, to exchange knowledge about the education system and best practice in each country and to foster a sense of European unity.
TITLE OF PROJECT: The title of our project is “Treasure Trail- Linking the Past to the Present”.
Participating Schools: Scoil Bhríde (Cailíní), Blanchardstown, Dublin
(Project co-ordinators); Escola de Practiques, Tarragona, Catalonia, Spain; Istituto Comprensivo Don Bosco D’Assissi, Torre del Greco, Campania, Italy; Grundschule Michaelisschule, Georgsmarienhutte, Osnabruck, Germany.
PROJECT FOCUS: T.R.E.A.S.U.R.E. is an acronym-each letter is used to provide an area of focus around which a module of work is based. Thus:
Unity of Europe
Work: We have had a very busy and enjoyable year working on the Comenius project. Every child in the school has participated in some way. Children from different classes have been involved in the following activities:
• Creating Powerpoint presentations on Ireland to send to the other countries.
• Entering a competition for the project logo.
• Designing a Treasure Map which is displayed in the Comenius area on the Junior Corridor.
• Exchanging traditional Christmas and Easter cards and gifts.
• Exchanging traditional songs and dances.
• Exchanging traditional recipes.
Our European colleagues have visited Ireland twice- in November for a preliminary planning meeting and in March when they visited the school and participated in the St. Patrick’s Day festivities. They were most impressed by our beautiful new school but most of all by our lovely children!
Celebration of Europe Day:
• Children all over Europe, including our girls, participated in the “Handshake for Europe” at 11 a.m. on the 9th May. Our children also dressed in European colours- either the colour of their own flag or the colour of the Comenius countries.
• Several children performed pieces by European composers on the day.
• Sixth class Skyped the children in Tarragona, Spain. Postcards and emails were also exchanged between participating schools.
The project will continue next year with many more exciting activities and opportunities for learning!
Category: News Archive